The organization of transport of correspondence in Togo, goes back to the time when the country was still under German protectorate from 1883, by decision of the German Chancellor Bismarck.
A daily service connected the first postal agency of Anecho (Togo) and Grand-Popo (Dahomey) with an intermediary office in Agoué; then with Denou (Gold Coast). The first stamp issued by the Togolese postal service dates from 1887. It was a 10 pfennig stamp printed in Germany.
Internationally, on the basis of an agreement with the German shipping company named Woerman, the transport of parcels up to 5 kg was insured in both directions (Germany-Togo).